As the kids move on to build their own families and lives and neighbors leave, it can be hard for older adults to engage in socialization as they did in the past. However, socialization for older adults is critical to both physical and mental health. Creating opportunities for this engagement in our assisted living community can provide long-term happiness and well-being for our residents. At Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City, we work hard to ensure you always have these opportunities. Please contact Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City today at 833.497.4390 to learn about our services and our engagement opportunities.
The Value of Socialization for Older Adults
Socialization is more than just waving hello to the neighbor or connecting with a family member for a few minutes over the phone. It’s about learning, expressing, and communicating thoughts, feelings, ideas, and needs more thoroughly. So what does socialization mean for older adults, then?
- Socializing battles depression. One of the most important reasons to engage in routine socialization is that it minimizes depression, which impacts both mental and physical health. Depression often leads to self-isolation and loneliness that is hard to beat alone.
- Interacting with others helps keep the brain sharp. Most conversations lead to some learning and self-expression opportunities. This interaction keeps the brain learning and functioning at its best.
- It improves self-esteem. Everyone wants to feel connected to the world around them. Having a few socialization opportunities in daily life creates that type of connection vital to happiness and feeling valued.
- Socializing helps reduce anxiety. Engaging with others frequently reduces the anxious feelings many people have. They can better express thoughts feelings with those they engage with, learning if they are real or not. This can help improve a person’s confidence, too.
- It may help people live longer. There is some evidence that socially engaged people live longer lives. It may help to push the onset of dementia off as well. People who are involved are more likely to take care of themselves, too.
Engaging in socialization is a big part of living a healthy life. However, making it happen can sometimes be the hard part.
Use This Assisted Living Blog as a Starting Point
If you’re unsure how to engage with others, use the resources here and through Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City to support you. For example, why not engage in activities around the assisted living community? This may include things like embracing an educational program designed for adults. In addition, you may benefit from engaging in fitness programs by helping to support your friends through the sessions. You can even meditate with other people to feel connected with them.
At Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City, we work hard to help you have as many ways and opportunities to socialize and engage with others as possible. Check out some of our programs and get involved:
- Artistry of Moments
- Wise and Well program
- Full dining services
- Adult education programs
- Recreational programs
The more activities you are a part of, the better. There are many other ways to engage as well. Reach out to family and friends for a video chat. Spend some time in leadership within the sem living community. Connect with friends you haven’t heard from in years through email or social media. The more ways you engage, the better. If you have any questions, we encourage you to reach out to Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City.
Find Your Home at Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City
When you think about socialization for older adults, it can sometimes feel impossible with all of your health and mobility issues. Why not take the next step, then, and get the support you need? In our assisted living community, you’ll have the opportunity to socialize and embrace life the way you desire again. It’s one of the core tools we offer for building success and happiness. Learn more about Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City when you call us at 833.497.4390 or connect with us online.