Many men and women find their tastes changing as they get older. They may also find it a bit more challenging to get in healthy meals prepared at home. The importance of good nutrition is clear. Nutrition impacts a person’s immune system, energy levels, and ability to live a happy and healthy life. That’s why Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City offers a range of programs to support good nutrition, including full dining services. To learn more about our service options at our assisted living community, please contact our team today at 833.497.4390
Don’t Ignore the Importance of Good Nutrition
Eating what you want isn’t always okay, especially if you are not getting in enough nutrients with your meals. Take a look at a few of the most important reasons not to skip eating healthy foods.
- Nutrients are essential for supporting good organ function. That includes the eyes, liver, kidneys, heart, and digestive system.
- A good balance of nutrition, especially calcium, helps to minimize the risk of bone fractures from falling. It may also help improve overall mobility and strength, creating less chance of falling as well.
- A person’s immune system is dependent on good nutrition. Without it, they may struggle to recover from even a slight cold. That also leads to difficulty with the healing process.
- Nutrition is essential for keeping brain health the best it can be. It directly relates to cognitive abilities and memory.
- A balanced diet also contributes to disease-fighting. It may help a person avoid or support treatment for high blood pressure, some forms of cancer, and diabetes.
Nutrients are best obtained from food. Yet, there is often the need for additional support, including supplements, because many people do not get enough of the nutrients they need.
How to Develop Healthy Eating Habits
Eating healthy foods is not always easy, especially if you are unable to prepare meals or get to the grocery store as often as you would like. However, when possible, focus on a few core elements of good nutrition.
Start with eating a wider range of vegetables and fruits. These are ideal places to get nutrients such as Vitamin K, fiber, potassium, and Vitamin C. Many seniors need access to a more significant amount of protein to keep the body’s muscle mass strong. Choose leaner protein choices when possible. Many seniors also need access to Omega 3 fatty acids to help keep the heart and brain healthy. Get these from cold-water fish. Grains can also be necessary, but choose those with whole grains rather than “white” carbs that are not beneficial to the body.
Ready to Learn More? Call Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City
If you’re struggling to find a way to maintain a healthy diet, turn to our team at Wickshire Senior Living Okalahoma City. We provide a range of services to help you, including a partnership with Meals on Wheels. If you are living at home, reach out to us to learn more about these programs.
For those living within our community, our dining services are comprehensive. They work closely with you to determine your medical dietary needs and ensure you always have access to tasty food that is ideal for healthy living.
Take a few minutes to learn more about all of our senior living programs and how our team can help to support your health:
It’s easy to see the importance of good nutrition, but if you need help ensuring you’re consuming the right foods and balancing your body’s nutritional needs, reach out for help. Our dedicated team at Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City can provide outstanding senior living resources to support all of your needs. Learn more when you connect with us online or call 833.497.4390.