Retirement is a very different world for a person who is used to being busy with children, dealing with work responsibilities, and occupied with plenty of things to do around the home. In retirement, you may have a bit more time to have a furry friend around to keep you company. Pets in retirement can be a major part of living a healthy lifestyle, too. If you’ve thought about it, know that your assisted living community at Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City encourages you to welcome pets into your home with us. To learn about the benefits of living in our community, please reach out to our team today at 833.497.4390.
Why Pets in Retirement Are Beneficial
Some people may not want or benefit from having pets. If you don’t like them or want the burden of caring for them, no rule says you need to have one. However, there are some clear benefits for many older adults.
- Pets keep you active. You’ll have to take them outside and play with them around the house. Pets need attention. That’s a good thing because it means you’re getting up and moving. That’s good for your health.
- Having a pet encourages feeling needed. Older adults, like nearly anyone else, need to have a purpose in their day. A pet could introduce a few more responsibilities and help you feel valued.
- Animals can sense feelings and provide comfort. Depression, fear, anxiety, and many other emotions can be hard to deal with on your own. With a pet, you always have someone willing to listen and embrace you when you need it most.
- Sometimes animals look after you, too. Dogs are instinctively protective. There are many stories of animals helping people to stay out of trouble or getting them help after they fall.
- Pets tend to be easier to manage when you’re older. You have more time now to enjoy them. If you’ve always put off getting a dog or cat, now may be an excellent time to welcome them into your home to have that experience.
Remember, you can choose the pet that’s right for you. You may not want a big dog or even a kitten. There are plenty of pets in animal shelters that are a bit older, well trained, and ready to spend time just being with you.
What Other Services Should You Seek?
If pets are essential to you, choose a pet-friendly retirement home to help you welcome them into your lives. Not all locations allow for pets. In some situations, it may not be ideal. However, at Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City, we encourage you to spend your life the way you desire, living with your favorite furry friends. We offer many supportive services to enable you to remain active and engaged.
There are often rules around the type and number of pets you can have within an assisted living community. Our goal is to ensure you are safe as well as feeling loved. For that reason, we encourage you to reach out to us to learn more about our pet policies.
Check out some of our other services now as well:
- Wise and Well program
- Assisted living community
- Medication management program
- Transportation services
- Dining services
- Recreational programs and services
These are only a few of the services that we provide. To learn more about our services, please reach out to Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City today.
Learn More at Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City Today
Having pets in retirement may sound like a good thing. At Wickshire Senior Living Oklahoma City, we work to make sure you and your loved ones have access to the services you need to live your best life, including with furry friends. Learn more about our services by connecting with us online or call 833.497.4390 to schedule a visit.