For over two decades, the third week in September is devoted to honoring the importance of assisted living. Assisted living communities in the United States make a meaningful difference in the lives of countless seniors annually.
First established in 1995 by the National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL), National Assisted Living Week is the perfect occasion for those who work and reside in assisted living communities and their loved ones to acknowledge their value and importance. At Wickshire Senior Living, we recognize this important week and encourage celebration as well as amplification of our mission and work. Take advantage of National Assisted Living Week to learn more about assisted living in Oklahoma City for you or your loved ones. Call 833.497.4390 to talk to one of our knowledgeable staff or use our online form to reach out for a call-back.
National Assisted Living Week 2021
From September 12-18, 2021, assisted living residences and communities around the country will offer events and activities to celebrate the people they serve and educate the public about the important role of long-term care that does not require a nursing home setting.
The theme for this year’s week honoring assisted living communities is Compassion, Community, Caring. These three words epitomize the essential benefits of assisted living and why so many Americans and their families are overjoyed every year to find just the right fit.
- Compassion is the foundation of assisted living. For our residents to live out meaningful, rewarding lives, staff members must understand and empathize with the unique challenges of this population. Not only that – the challenges faced by each individual in our care. No two people are alike, and no two people enter their retirement years with the same goals, abilities, strengths, or needs. A successful partnership between assisted living and older adults requires compassion.
- Community is the glue that holds assisted living together. Together, the members of a community can hold space for every resident living within that community. Isolation is always a danger for seniors and a risk factor for many mental and physical health challenges. Community precludes isolation and, in assisted living, residents can access community in ways that are comfortable for them.
- Caring is what compassionate community members do for one another. The staff is committed to caring for the needs of residents, from basic requirements such as nutrition to quality-of-life factors like opportunities to learn, grow, play, stay fit, and maintain health. Community members also care for one another as they join in friendship as neighbors.
Why Assisted Living?
The assisted living model addresses some realities about life after 65. For example:
- As life expectancy increases, the estimate is over 14 million people over the age of 85 within the next 20 years.
- About one-tenth of seniors end up with care costs greater than $25,000 per year.
- Women living without partners outnumber men in the same boat by a large margin, and they fill assisted living communities at a rate seven times higher than men.
- During the lifetimes of both men and women, more than two-thirds will require long-term care.
- Exercise can reduce the many risk factors of aging, even when it doesn’t start till after age 75, and more adults get exercise in assisted living than do when living at home.
- Life expectancy among residents in assisted living communities is as much as two years longer than older adults with different living arrangements.
Given statistics like those, it’s no wonder that assisted living has a week set aside to celebrate its ever-increasing value to the aging population of the United States.
The Benefits of Assisted Living in Oklahoma City
The countless benefits of assisted living are experienced by the residents of Wickshire Senior Living in Oklahoma City. Our residents achieve greater longevity and fulfillment by building healthy minds and bodies, staying socially engaged, and having access to professionals who specialize in supporting older adults to live meaningful, rich lives.
Have a conversation with one of our staff, or better yet, schedule a visit to see our community firsthand, ask questions of the people who really know the answers, and get a feeling for life in a top-rated, affordable assisted living residence that is based in compassion, community, and caring. Use our online form or call us at 833.497.4390.